03-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Speed Limit View Post
I drove Porsche with EPS and while I will agree that it's a massive improvement over to something like a 335 or a 550, it is not like the M5's (or M3's) hydraulic steering. It cannot be and it won't be. You can try to replicate it for as much as you want, but the fact of the matter is, EPS is not hydraulic steering. It's as simple as 2 x 2 = 4.

That being said, I think people are going to "adjust" to this the way they will adjust to the turbo engine. I was so against turbo engine and used to swear I would never give up an NA engine. After doing multiple M5/M6 test drives, I was sold on the idea completely. It's an entirely different game all together. I don't regret going to M5 and turbo engine just one bit.

I believe EPS will be somewhat similar. It will feel a bit weird, but people will get used to it. So my only advice is, STOP comparing it to hydraulic, and ACCEPT that it will be different. Whichever one is BETTER is debatable and time will only tell and the results will be different from person to person.

Do you remember how people used to object iphone 6-7 years ago when it first came out? "Oh it doesn't have real keys" or "Oh it's a hype and it will die down". What happened? Evolution.
You make really good points about evolution and we will get used to it. When I drove the 235i I found it very smooth and precise. I made a comment about it not having feedback that I like and have in my 3 past bmws. Some assumed I hated it. That was not the case. If I had never owned two e46 and 1M it would be fine. I actually thought it was better than 135i. The thing that worries me is that BMW pushes itself to offer more feel because we demand it. If no one gripes about it, they wouldn't care. So I
Applaud the effort but they need to focus on the
Feedback before the gadgets like auto park, and
Custom settings. Don't get me wrong here. If the feel is great then add all the settings you want but it feels like they replace feedback with buttons and that's a high price to pay when you are being sold an expensive Ultimate Driving Machine
Appreciate 0