07-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #73
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Update for anyone interested in the magnet mod I mentioned in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=56

If you go to Amazon just search for "rare earth magnets" and you'll see all kinds of sizes of Neodymium Magnets for about $7 - just choose grade N45 or above.

If you order these be careful as they will snap together and take off a chuck of your finger ... uhhh, I heard that anyway

Parts list is:
* Magnets
* Loctite Epoxy Marine Gel or similar
* Plate holder
Total is about $15-$20

Procedure is:
  1. From the bottom or top ensure you can reach into the back of the bumper where you want the plate mounted, clean and dry that inside location if needed
  2. Put some epoxy on a magnet and apply - I use 3* and just eyeball the spacing based on the plate holder - you can also use painter's tape to put 3 on the front with the right spacing and the rears will then self adjust when you get close - this is the easiest method if the spacing is tight. Let those dry.
  3. Next, hold the plate holder to the front of the bumper and hold up a magnet - it'll find it's location! Repeat for all 3 and level/adjust, then mark the locations on the plate holder with a sharpie
  4. remove the plate holder and its magnets, and then epoxy them in place
  5. Apply felting or microfiber to the back of the plate holder to protect the bumper

* note - you can use as many magnets as you want but keep in mind these things are powerful and I found that more than 3 quarter-size is a very bad idea (a dude decided to use 6 and he shattered the plate holder when he went to attach it to the car! ker-THAWP!) No matter how much you can bench, you are NOT stronger than these magnets.

Other note is to only put the plate back on when you know the bumper is clean - for po-po emergencies I usually just carry some quick wash and a rag in case I have to slap on the plate. This avoids scratches.

+1 - like your style - will definitely look into this method - very clean