Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
now THAT'S something I understand!

that said, it just seems like there's been a lot of, "omg! clarkson like it! he likes it! he's soooo dreamy "

which makes me
God, have you seen the gut he is carrying this year? I know he has had a rough year (apology for the 'eeny meeny' incident, separating from wife, being chased from argentina, etc) but the man could do a sit up every now and then.....

Anyway, yeah, no dreamy-ness here.

I do confess to being pleased that a well known journalist (quality issues aside) gushed about the car but....that is more like when I am dressed well and know it and have someone make the point. I know it to be true, but...I'm not gonna complain if you say it all the same. cause I am an

(really, just wanted to use that one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I dunno, the comment I dislike the most in all of these discussions is the one raised by the fan boys as soon as any criticism is raised to the tune of that "it always been like that when a new car comes out". Instead of challenging criticism with real insights or views it's dismissed with a totally useless "it always happens". Wtf.
Fair point. Speaking for myself, I think I've tortured enough people on this forum with a drive for detail and specifics and a hatred of generalities such that I'm probably more disliked for being too willing to engage in (long winded) specific challenges to criticisms or insights.....So, yes, I agree, vague and dismissive is bad, specific is good.

That said, I think it is a valid point that it has happened before (you've maybe seen me use it, but there is a great quote from the NYT when the E9X that sums the phenomenon so well....). Some of the E46 crowd did it to E90 and some of the E90 are doing it now. As time passes, inevitably those people fade away (as many of them get the new car and realize their initial opinions were not always well founded....)

In general, I dislike both fanatical dumping on the new car as much as I dislike fanatical defending of the new car. It has its faults, it has its wonderful points. On balance, from my reading, the car has been received very well and the efforts of a few naysayers to say otherwise should not be effective.