View Single Post
      04-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #128
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
Thanks - I'm debating trying the Ravenol. My car seemed to like their 0W-40 (I've yet to do a UOA on it). Like you mentioned, only thing that's got me apprehensive is the variation and viscosity drop in UOAs for the VST on European forums, even with the newer UVSO version. And Motul is more easily available through different vendors and for cheaper than the Ravenol.

One question I have though - the Ravenol 0W-40 is majority PAO and the Motul gen2 is purely HC - will there be any issues with mixing these oils? There will be some residual oil in the oil cooler and lines so should I fully flush Ravenol out of the engine before adding Motul or is this not an issue?
So all API oils must be able to be mixed. So, no problem there.
As for the base stock of Motul, do not forget that MSDS is just for emergency personnel (fire and EMS) to know what substances are harmful. Considering Motul numbers, I would not be surprised if there are a bit of Esters there.
In the end, it is final results that matter. I did not see Ravenol UOA, but their KV100 indicates some "room for error." Usually, oils that are that thick are purposely made like that bcs. shearing.
Like I said, I personally trust Motul more. If you want a more robust Motul, go Motul SPort 5W40. If you are out of warranty, I would go that. It is still API SN, which means there is robust dispersant and detergent package for street use and oxidation is in check.
Appreciate 1