View Single Post
      01-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #22
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Yes, I'm starting to realize just how hard it is going to be to save weight on this car for no cost. And another thing is that some of the low hanging fruit (like the exhaust and battery) is going to take the car even further towards front weight bias. The car is already a little front heavy (51.5/48.5...not quite 50/50) but I'm thinking losing enough weight in the front to reach 50/50 is going to be quite tough.
Agreed- aluminum uprights and suspension components, polyurethane bumper, etc and weight savings at the front of the car become a tricky proposition.

The radiator support at the front of the car is a bolt-in steel piece of considerable weight. I had thought to build this piece from carbon fiber to retain full rigidity while saving a substantial weight, but considered this part to be of little interest to M owners. This thread is making me reconsider.

True race cars could save substantial weight in several places, but functionality would be lost. Items like the windshield washer system, AC, headlights, and so on could all be removed if the car was a race-only vehicle.