captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refined View Post
I opted for the DCT in the end because my other car is a manual so I still get the experience when I want it, but I was curious to see what all the fuss was about with the DCT. I had generally unfavorable views about automatics based on experience with torque converter type transmissions, but when I noticed it seemed to be a trend amongst high-end sports cars I figured it must be something special.

It's definitely not engaging in the way that a manual is, but it has a character all it's own and I am disappointed to hear that BMW will be moving away from the DCT in the future.
The latest torque converter planetary geared ATs have evolved to the point where they give the DCT a very good run for the money. They shift instantly and smoothly, perfectly rev match downshifts and the torque converter is locked out and there is a direct connection from the engine to the drive wheels once the car is in motion,

I have driven the ZF 8 Speed in the Jaguar F Type and the BMW M235i Factory Racer back to back with the BMW DCT in my M4. The ZF is an excellent transmission and the way it is tuned in the F Type and the M 235i as much as I like the DCT in my M I do not see much of (if any) advantage to the DCT.

I had a farily extensive discussion about the M235i AT with Will Turner (Turner Motorsports) and other members of the team while they were shaking out their M235i racers earlier this year and they were raving about the transmission.

As far as I am concerned I understand that there are MT diehards but once the third pedal is gone and the car is either shifting itself or being shifted by the driver with paddles I am far more concerned with the performance of the transmission than I am with the technology that is changing the gears. I think a lot of the appeal of the DCT is that "It is not really an automatic transmission". IMO any transmission that has a mode where it can be placed in drive and will shift itself is by definition an automatic transmission regardless of how the gear changes are accomplished.

I go between AT and MT cars on a regular basis, sometimes several times a day. There is a lot more to driving than shifting gears and as much as I enjoy MT cars I also enjoy driving AT cars and when I am in an MT I don't think to myself "Now I'm driving not riding."

Also you have to consider that there are some very skilled drivers who are concerned with getting around a track as fast as possible and DCTs and some ATs enable them to do just that. The Turner guys were turning 56 second laps in the AT M235i Racers at Lime Rock. If you think they were "riding" in those cars and not 'driving" I would challenge you see if you can duplicate those times.

All of the above being said I understand that there are some who prefer MTs and I hope BMW continues to offer them`

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-23-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 6