02-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I laughed.

It's funny to me because you can't deny it is difficult to trust them lately with the current marketing material, warranty/service policy, and product mix that are all over the place.

For example, that new X4 video just makes your skin crawl, right? Exactly what sort of mentality does it require to watch that and say - "Yeah, you nailed that BMW - solid choice for a promo!"? I feel like I have to do a few shots of Jaegermeister if I want to approach a BMW dealership. It's like a walk of shame now, LOL.

Anyway, to answer the OP, is BMW Individual itself shady? No. But as it applies to a strategy whereby they allegedly carefully rule out desirable colors from the past that could otherwise have been offered as standard because that they know will be popular a $3500 to $5000+ up-sell through Individual? Yeah, that's a bit sketchy. Shrewd business to be sure, but it does leave you feeling like they are trying to pull people into the dealership with a certain MSRP and then fleece the bejesus out of you with ridiculous option pricing.
My thought exactly. The program itself is a very good offering and options but not how they are deciding what components go under the program instead of offering them standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
BMW is artificially making colors that are not really that special, desirable through exclusivity. Yes, there are extreme colors that meet the "individual" purpose/intent, but many of the colors that are often drooled over on this site are fairly basic (that's where the "crazy pills" come in for me).

A color should be "individual" because of the inherent uniqueness of the color, not by making it exclusive through not offering it otherwise. Like my previous example, people wouldn't give two shits about SMB if any of the other similar blues was offered as standard.

Again, glad buyers have the option, and value is in the eyes of the beholder, but still shady business to artificially create demand like that.
Very true. I was telling my coworkers the other day about the program and what are being offered under the program. We were checking out those so called "Individual Paint" online and they were like wtf. Some of those "Individual Paint" are just not special enough but we know there are people who think they get a special product because they pay more for it than other people.

I think I read someone said gotta pay to play. Well BMW got you on that.

Rather or not they are worth it is another subject but certainly not to me.
Appreciate 1
stooker2752.50