Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Nice to see some additional specs and media.

This car is going to offer a drivers race against a Porsche 911S (latest 991 variant) at least in a straight line and at do so for at least $25k less. I've been saying that all along and it will. It will be well below 3.9s 0-60 as well. The flip side is nice (and I think that means quite a lot coming from me...) new American cars like the Mustang are really stepping up their game (various higher end and yet to be officially announced versions) and will hang with or best the M4 for about the same amount of spend less! There will be many more solid competitors as well. First world problem we have for sure...

I should post some updated simulation results but they really have not changed much since this effort.

That's the good, here is some of the bad.

I'm disappointed that this engine appears to have much in common with the N54/N55. If it is not the exact parts it sure is the heart of the design and dimensions. Although I have not seen it confirmed nor denied yet, I strongly suspect it will also share the key bore spacing value with these older engines. Thus alas, we will not have the bespoke M engine we thought we might get with the S55. Call it what you like but this is an evolved N54 (recall that the N54 has both valvetronic, direct injection and twin turbos).

Some other comments/observations on the OP:

I'd rather know the max permissible torque value over the maximum speed, much more relevant. Tell us how much more torque capacity it has over a similar steel unit (I know, that's a pipe dream type of request).

Saves 11 lb over what exactly? The current M3 has a full aluminum front suspension (and subframe). More BMW marketing BS...

Cd and Area is provided in inline document from BMW. Cd is up quite a bit from 0.31 in the E92 to 0.34 in the M4.
+1 Keepin it real

A lot of the quoted weight savings will come from the carbon ceramic brakes (40+lbs).
The 80 kilo weight savings vs. an E90 M3 is when comparing similarly equipped vehicles. Unless the E9x somehow came with CCB's that I don't know about, that will represent a further weight savings.
Appreciate 0