05-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #163
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremePower3335 View Post
I am interested in your comments and viewpoints..
Let me chime in with few minor items that may not be worth much:
  • I personally prefer the Cayman's exterior design, I think, but the M3/4 is growing on me.
  • Maintenance costs are not very high at all, they are in the 'normal' range and comparable to any car, but not free.
  • I am not sure why a CF roof may be important, but it does not need it as it is comparably quite light in weight overall.
  • I would not classify Cayman as a sports car first, it really is a DD with strong sporty characteristics.
  • Porsche brakes are better than BMW brakes, steel-to-steel and CCB-to-CCB.
  • A Cayman will cost about $10K more comparably optioned than an M3/4; however, getting $6 to 9K discounts on a Cayman S (not the GTS) is quite reasonable and if you go for one on the lot you can probably get close to $11K.
  • The interior... it is a matter of personal taste of course, but the BMW interior is looking better to me, particularly in full leather, but may be I have been driving Porsches for a little too long of time.
  • BMW ED is a better program than than Porsche's.
  • Cayman's sport exhaust sound is just superb, but beware of the interior engine sound, which is dreadful as RPMs increase (this is strictly a personal note, many disagree with me)
  • Avoid as many electronic supplements as you can with a Porsche.
  • Windscreen on Porsches are very thin (save weight and cost), plan on replacing them every other year or 18 months, or protect it with 3M cover
  • I have not actually checked for the 981, but I don't think they moved to multi-link rear suspension yet, partly to keep the handling separation from the 911. For DD and street driving, it does not matter of course.
  • Cayman interior is very usable from a storage perspective.
    Porsche's use primarily aluminum, hence repair costs for accidents are probably higher than BMW, but do not know this for a fact. I was astonished to find out that replacing my GT3's front bumper with OEM would cost me $6500 (it is because it says GT3 on it, not because it is made of aluminum )
  • At the same time, the chassis construction is quite modular, changing/replacing fenders, chassis braces, etc. are less labor intensive
  • Porsche parts across models are easily interchangeable from transmission, engine, suspension, body panels, etc. This creates interesting possibilities

I hope this helps in some ways.
Appreciate 0