View Single Post
      05-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #167
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
You have good points on CONS and PROS, but I'm a little confuse! 310HP is CONS for Cayman and 425 HP is CONS for M4 so what are you looking for? As you said maybe M2 is the best choice for you since it must have 365-375HP
What I mean is that 310 is "slow" when compared to the over 400bhp of the ///M4 BUT a number of folks say think that the 310 is good and come to think of it I have it in my E90 and I cannot use it..As for why that is a CON in the ///M4 but it cannot be used in day to day driving..Now I'm confused

I guess what I am asking is 310bhp enough and I answered my own question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMellow View Post
Creature comforts - what specifically were you referring to that the Cayman lacks vs the M4? The Cayman is a true 2-seat sports car vs a sporty 2-door w/4 seats
I like techy things in ///M4 such as the HUD, sport settings, M track info etc..again these are nice to haves but not a MUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMellow View Post
IMHO, I think its comparing oranges vs tangerines - there are a lot of similarities in terms of each cars goals but their DNA is totally different The Cayman S is already a superior track/handling sports car and I can only imagine what the GTS will be like.
By the way, Porsche's are one of the best daily driving cars around I have the '11 C4S and I use it as my daily and its awesome. My wife drives her '11 M3 vert and its nice. The M3 suspension is not as sophisticated as the 911 but it does fine for DD and occasional fun. I'm sure the new M4/M3 will be great all around cars but the Cayman GTS is probably a couple of notches above when it comes to handling. If the rumors are true, I'd take the M2 over the M4 any day.
Thx, this is the kinda of feedback I am looking for..I cannot have both so I need to pick one...frankly its hard to move away from BMW..I've never had a ///M before..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Let me chime in with few minor items that may not be worth much:
  • I personally prefer the Cayman's exterior design, I think, but the M3/4 is growing on me.
  • Maintenance costs are not very high at all, they are in the 'normal' range and comparable to any car, but not free.
  • I am not sure why a CF roof may be important, but it does not need it as it is comparably quite light in weight overall.
  • I would not classify Cayman as a sports car first, it really is a DD with strong sporty characteristics.
  • Porsche brakes are better than BMW brakes, steel-to-steel and CCB-to-CCB.
  • A Cayman will cost about $10K more comparably optioned than an M3/4; however, getting $6 to 9K discounts on a Cayman S (not the GTS) is quite reasonable and if you go for one on the lot you can probably get close to $11K.
  • The interior... it is a matter of personal taste of course, but the BMW interior is looking better to me, particularly in full leather, but may be I have been driving Porsches for a little too long of time.
  • BMW ED is a better program than than Porsche's.
  • Cayman's sport exhaust sound is just superb, but beware of the interior engine sound, which is dreadful as RPMs increase (this is strictly a personal note, many disagree with me)
  • Avoid as many electronic supplements as you can with a Porsche.
  • Windscreen on Porsches are very thin (save weight and cost), plan on replacing them every other year or 18 months, or protect it with 3M cover
  • I have not actually checked for the 981, but I don't think they moved to multi-link rear suspension yet, partly to keep the handling separation from the 911. For DD and street driving, it does not matter of course.
  • Cayman interior is very usable from a storage perspective.
    Porsche's use primarily aluminum, hence repair costs for accidents are probably higher than BMW, but do not know this for a fact. I was astonished to find out that replacing my GT3's front bumper with OEM would cost me $6500 (it is because it says GT3 on it, not because it is made of aluminum )
  • At the same time, the chassis construction is quite modular, changing/replacing fenders, chassis braces, etc. are less labor intensive
  • Porsche parts across models are easily interchangeable from transmission, engine, suspension, body panels, etc. This creates interesting possibilities
I hope this helps in some ways.
Great points to consider, thank you!