01-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #226
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
I like the exhaust has a nice exotic tone to it! Some real potential here and surely great bmw performance and aftermarket exhaust options to follow.
Hard to beat the current E9x M3 sound V8 with any 6.

Sound at idle doesn't mean much. It is very E46 to me at a higher pitch.

I have a feeling it will be much better accelerating. What may be great sounding are the burbles, farts and raspiness when downshifting on track. Sort of like an older Formula Atlantic car gearing down.

I have a friend who travels around with the Formula 1 circuit. They are testing this week in Spain. The same issues people are talking about with the new M3/M4 are similar. 8 cylinder down to 6. New nose/hood for safety.

He said the new 6 cylinder turbo engines don't sound as good as the 8s from last year. Not as much rumble.

The biggest issue however is how bad the 'anteater' noses look on the new F1 cars. Kind of like the hood line on the new M3/M4.

Andrian Newey in particular said..........

"I think it is a shame if regulations create ugly solutions, as we have seen in some of the cars that have been released.

"It is not a strictly technical matter as we have to design a car that we feel gives the best performance regardless of the styling.

"But I think the shape of the cars, the sound of the cars, is all part of the drama of F1. And it is a shame if the cars are unattractive."

So true..........

Go to some of the F1 sites. Man those noses are weird.
Appreciate 0