View Single Post
      09-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #126
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
Technically it is fake. It's amplifying the engine noise and playing it through the cars speakers. It's not real or raw. But still better than a pre-recorded sound file like the M5 if this is indeed using a microphone.

The idea does seem ridiculous. I'm sure everyone would be laughing if some ricer hooked up a microphone in their engine bay and connected it to the speakers to make the car seem louder than it actually is. But I can see how it can be appealing if you want to hear the engine better when driving with the windows up

And it's probably something that everyone is going to have to get used to since engines will continue to get quieter, along with sound deadening, and government regulations
I don't like the idea of it being played with the speakers. IMO:

No active noise > noise "tube" or other mechanical connection from the engine to the compartment which amplifies noise > active sound from speakers being an amplified version of actual noise recorded > active sound from speakers being a recording.

Kind of like:

natural tits > really good fake tits > middle of the road saline fake tits > 50 year old hooker silicone fake tits with weirdly placed nipples and a big scar.
Appreciate 0