View Single Post
      02-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #32
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
edycol do you know the stats on Motul Specific 5w30 LL-01 FE?
What's your opinion of this stuff? I have a bunch stocked, and change at 5K for daily driving and weekend 60-130 races.

Same stats and opinion question about RedLine 5W40. I heard this is recommended when using bigger turbos, and my GCs will arrive soon.
Motul LL01FE will be in rank of ACEA A5. I would not say it is any better or worse than TPT. TPT in fact is really good oil, and unlike what some people say, it is specifically made for BMW (it is not repackaged Pennzoil/Shell). But, IMO, HTHS of around 3 is really low for these vehicles. I personally would run LL01FE only if I was doing trips where I cannot reach operating oil temperature, so short trips.
Redline is completely different animal and one has to be careful about Redline. It is exceptional oil for track use. It has 70-80% Ester base stock. It is obvious as HTHS is around 4.5, but KV100 is 15.4. For example, Mobil1 achieves that HTHS in their 15W50 oil with KV100 18. What does that mean? It means lower quality base stock, a lot of viscosity modifiers, polymers etc.
But, there is downside to Redline, same like to Motul 300V. Esters are oxidizing fast. So, running those oils longer than 3k or 5k (I would definitely do UOA at 3k first) will push TAN too far. When TAN passes remaining TBN that is when sludge can happen. If you run Redline, or Motul 300V, do 3k UOA and see where you are with TBN and TAN. If TAN passes TBN or it is very close, probably 3K is limit (But, UOA I have seen in some Corvette's 5K is probably safe limit).
Another good oil is Motul 5W40 SPort. It has less Esters and more PAO to control oxidation. So think about that oil too as there are advantages to oils that are more “street” like. If you drive your car to daycare (like I do) 5 days a week, then you hit track once a week or month, I would go definitely something like Motul Sport and not 300V. Redline might be good option too. I like Redline bcs. all their performance series has same base stock. So if you run 5W40 in summer, running 5W30 in winter wouldn’t mix different additives and base stocks. There is also case to be made for Motul 5W40 300V, though it is basically racing oil. KV100 is 13.5 while HTHS is 4. That means less parasitic drag in engine compared to Redline=better engine performance.
So your choice, but whatever you choose of these oils for track, you definitely should not worry about oil performance.

Edit: I just notice you are saying "races." DO you race or just track to blow off some steam?

Last edited by edycol; 02-15-2021 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5461.50
irunalot1518.00