02-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #38
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
That is not hard on engine. Few days ago I retrofitted oil cooler from E90 335 to my N52 for track use. Since it was cold, I had to run high rpms for a long time in order to check whether it is working properly. I hold rpms at 6,500 for 20min in second gear on local hwy.
I would stick in that case to regular oils due to detergent and anti-oxidation properties. You can run Castrol Edge 0W40 if out of warranty. If still under warranty, Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2 is good. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 is very good oil (usually on sale in local Advance Auto Parts for $33 for 5qt). Another oil that people neglect, but it is very good is Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle. IMO all better than anything Liqiu Moly.
If you get tempted with Mobil1 0W40, do not get it. It is exceptional oil, but I would not use it in DI engine due to very high sulfated ash level, which is culprit behind CBU.
When you do occasionally some drag races or track, you want to look for oil that has Porsche A40 approval bcs. it simulates 5hrs of Nurburgring run:

There is a guy on Bitog that goes by edyvw, would that be you? You post things that seem similar to what edyvw posts on bitog. If so, I damn well appreciate the way your mind works when it comes to oil.

If you are the same guy, I am glad you post about oil here as well. So many people blindly follow friends recommendations / brands / weights of oil that I just defer them to bitog search engine.

I usually just find a good LL01 oil and call it a day (last 15 years have all been Castrol / Mobil 1 0w40 on my BMWs with influence by your posts)

Last year I picked up Ravenol 0w40 SSL when it was still LL01 approved but now it also isn't LL01 approved and just recommended. Will still use up what I have and go try Motul 5w40 X-cess Gen 2 LL01. 0w40 LL-01 seems to be a disappearing trend - not impressed with Liquimoly / Castrol 5w40 LL-01 oils vs the Castrol 0w30/40s. Only gripe about LL01 are the full saps causing more carbon buildup.

Guess right now OE BMW TPT 5w30 - seems to fit the bill as a good oil all around for the F8X.

Last edited by JamesGames; 02-23-2021 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0