View Single Post
      04-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #16
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

It’s the softer sidewalls causing this lack of precision. Tyres are accountable for a vast majority of what we feel when it comes to suspension and feedback through the steering feel.

The PSC2 has stiffer ‘shoulders’ (where tread meets sidewall) than the PS4S/PSS, but the sidewall itself is still real relatively soft.

One thing I note is that in cold and wet conditions, there’s a subtle granularity through the steering wheel that even the PSS/PSC2 tyres have that makes the car much more enjoyable to steer. I’m not talking about grip at the limits of adhesion, but subtle ripples that come through the wheel which make you feel connected to the road. But this is inconsistent. In summer, this all but disappears with the soft Michelin tyres. (M2c running PSC2).

I’d love to experience a tyre with all the benefits of premium tyres (good grip/longevity), but with the raw feedback provided by Toyo/Bridgestone/Nitto tyres with their ultra hard sidewalls. Unfortunately, the lower down the tyre hierarchy you go, the more sacrifices you end up making.
Appreciate 0