Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Ok I may as well dive right back in.
the GOP [has voted] to not have witnesses and documents at the senate "trial" of Donald Trump. ... 75% of Americans want witnesses to happen ... I think those senators that vote against hearing witnesses will have a very hard time facing their electorate in November. I think a number will lose their seats because of it.

Nice! Well a few things here ...

(1.) It's notable Trump's Republican defense has gone from:
* He absolutely didn't do it and it's offensive to suggest he did!
to
* Yeah, ok, Trump did it but it wasn't a quid pro quo so nothing to see!
to
* Yeah, ok, Trump did it and it was a quid pro quo but that's not illegal so get over it!
to
* Yeah, ok, Trump did it, it was quid pro quo, that's illegal, but it's not impeachable!
to
* Yeah, ok, Trump did it, it was a quid pro quo, that's illegal, that's impeachable UNLESS the President believes it's in the best interest of the country; then it's fine.

(2.) It's also notable that the Republican defense, in sum total, amounts to an Imperial Presidency above the law:
(2.a.) Anything the President does that's not illegal is not impeachable
+
(2.b.) If the President is believed to have acted illegally no Federal or State authority may investigate him
+
(2.c.) If the Congress investigates the President for illegal acts, the President can refuse to cooperate including denying access to documents and/or witnesses
= Imperial President, King, US monarch.

(3.) It's notable that many Americans and their representatives aren't outraged by an Imperial Presidency
Instead they've chosen to emotionally align themselves to a King and/or self-interest rather than the US Constitution and its PROCESS of law and governance.

(4.) While 75% of Americans wanted witnesses ...
A decent chunk of them wanted those witnesses to investigate an unrelated matter, the Bidens, and wanted the Bidens amongst others called as witnesses (which should be investigated, but separately and after)

(5.) Given 1-4 and people's cultural and religious attachment to Trump ...
I doubt anyone who voted against witnesses will pay any near-term price

With all of that said, and given our Republic survives to look back agnostically at all of this, it's highly likely that all who currently support Trump will deny ever having done so.
Appreciate 3
F831355.50
minn1914028.50