View Single Post
      02-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Thumbs up Disconnected Active Sound. OMG! What a difference!

Update: 05/10/16: I finally got around to the coding and decided to get the ASD coded off altogether. Plugged it back in and removed the ASD via coding. Next buyer will thank me

So finally got around to doing this today and words cannot describe how much better the car sounds

Here is the video that shows the process if you don't go the coding route (not my video).

The video shows a very lengthy method for unplugging it so I found a shortcut. All I did was remove the plastic piece that goes along the trunk lock area as described in the video and another couple of button clips near the left tail light. Then I just pulled back on the trim which gave me enough room to slide in a long needle nose plier which I used to move that lock up and then pull the plug out. Took me 6 minutes and I could possibly do it in 4 now

So how does it feel? Huge huge difference

To give a little background, when I first test drove the F8X back in August 2014 I immediately noticed that loud Whhhirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in the cabin when I got on it in first and second. I remember very clearly that I did not like that sound but didn't know anything about the Active sound feature so figured that's what the car sounds like Fast forward to August 2015 when I took delivery of my 2016 M3 at the Welt and my wife pointed it out too barely 15 miles into the drive. She said "This car is so much louder inside than our previous M3". At the time I did not know that the active sound could be disabled. Thanks to stressdoc I saw his thread and decided to give it a shot. So here are my thoughts and I will try to describe it as accurately as I can...

Pros:
- 100% Natural sound. And by that I mean, I now hear all sounds coming from outside of the car. It's hard to describe but I still do hear the exhaust when I go WOT and I do hear the engine but the sound comes from the outside and not as much from the inside

- When I go WOT, I can actually hear my amazing MPE a lot better and the turbo spool is a lot more audible

- No more of that annoying Whirrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

- I no longer have to turn up the HK to hear it. Music is not drowned out by that god awful noise.

- Car is so much quieter in the cabin at cruising and especially at idle. You will truly be amazed at the difference in the cabin noise. It goes down substantially.

- The car feels like it has good sound proofing.

Cons:
- I can hear more squeaks

- The car feels slower

So for anyone wondering what I mean by the Whirrrrrrr sound, the above video captures exactly what I am talking about. Watch it at exactly 7:17 and you will instantly recognize it. Then watch the video after he unplugs the active sound and you will notice it's gone.

I would encourage everyone to try this atleast once. You can always plug it back in if you don't like it.

I have a quick question for those who already unplugged it - Did you guys tape the plug after removing it? I didn't thing it was needed because all the points are recessed in so I left it like that.

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 05-10-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 11
zamboni1130.50
JustChris17487.50
Bon F80127.00
zorrro436.00
N55Msport185.50