View Single Post
      11-25-2020, 05:39 AM   #61
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Here's a link to the sticky thread on the production breakdown figures for the F80. While it is among the sticky threads at the top of the forum, it's useful to point out referring to it if anyone has something specific in mind in their hunt.

For example, if you're looking for a Sakhir Orange LCI F80, you are hunting among only 787 imported examples (which brings up a question of what's the difference between Sakhir and Sakhir 2, but I digress). If you're interested in a Ferrari Red M3, the total was 33 cars with Imola Red totaling 96. Etc...

Knowing the production volume of a specific desire (6MT vs DCT, color, interior, etc) can help put into perspective the rarity of a given example you come across. For example, if one desires Sakhir Orange LCI ZCP 6MT with the cloth interior, then that total number is likely very small...somewhere well less than 1% or so of all M3s sold. Now add in mileage and condition to the mix, and it allows one to quickly see how a particular choice coupled with its mileage and condition might be very, very hard to come by again if you pass on it.

The final thought is that we're leaving "that window in time" where you can find a somewhat large supply of F80s with relatively low mileage (and still under factory warranty) and hence in potentially near new condition. This is where those who are crazy OCD about car condition can still find a decent example somewhat easily (i.e. no paintwork, no winter road use, none or little daily beater use, etc). If you want an F80 with say less than 15k miles, it's still possible to have a fairly large selection set, but that will end quickly over the next year to two years (just did a quick sort on Autotrader for 2017-2018 M3 with under 15k miles, and it shows 49 nationwide - which of course is just that amount listed on that site but it helps quantify it).

Final thought is to note that many dealers are mistakenly listing their ZCP cars as an "M3 CS" on sites like Autotrader and Cargurus. This is screwing up the pricing algorithms used by many sites apparently. This might be good news for someone looking for an M3 CS right now...couple that with a car traded into a non-BMW dealership, and a nice deal can (and has) shown up.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2