View Single Post
      03-30-2021, 12:17 AM   #418
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
What was your negotiating tactic? Down here in the southeast BMWs dealers aren't willing to budge on these used Ms it seems. Have no trouble getting huge deals on new BMWs tho.
It's just how the market is at present with the older M's. Due to Covid. Even though it seem like a lot of people are buying cars. They are not selling anywhere close to the norm. So they will start out as high as they can to make the most profit for specialty cars. Also due to the new line up not too favorable because of its looks, etc, etc, so used M's are holding value or even getting higher.

This particular one was not hard either. The car was for whatever reason was sitting on their lot for almost 3 months even though its CPOed, tinted, had ceramic coat . Maybe the 69k price tag scared everyone else from the get go.
I just told them I have to get the absolute lowest they can for me to take it home and maybe it was just the right time for it to be moved.

But here are some pointers that I have learned base on my experiences buying cars so hopefully you have some advantage in your favor.

A) Before you go in or even make contact make sure you are ready to buy or lease only at the price you want to pay. Let them know about it so everyone knows no one is trying to waste time.

B) Before A, research and make sure it is the car you want. I actually do my test drives from dealers I most likely won't buy from. Know the price you want to pay before you go in. A price you know for certain you will be happy with. If it is unrealistic you will know because no one will sell it to you no matter what.

C) Dealers will always find a way to make money so don't feel bad about anything.

D) Don't go in HOT. Just be cool and know that dealerships are there to make money, nothing is personal. Try to be in their good side. Let them know you will give them good reviews and spread the word if they treat you right. But at the same time be ready to walk out if you feel they are not treating you right no matter how much you want the car.

E) Contact at least a few dealers that have the cars you want in stock and via in writing be up front and let them know ahead of time what you expect for them to sell you the car. This way you can also feel the market and how they react.

F) Before Covid, I used to go in at last few days of the month on a Saturday or Sunday. A few hours before closing because everyone wants to go home and will expedite the twiddling of thumbs and get you to the deal faster.
But with this covid situation most of the deals happen even before you step in the dealership. My last few deals was just that. I just went in to sign papers. One time they even had to bring me the papers because they kept me waiting too long for finance so I walked out and said if you want me to buy it you can bring me the papers and the car to my home. A few minutes while in my car driving home a sales manager calls and was apologetic and did what I wanted, anyway...

G) If you have a particular car with a particular color and particular options that you are stuck with you most likely have to pay for it. What I mean is if you are going in with a little more flexibility it will most likely be in your favor.

H) When in finance, just say NO to all the other stuff they are selling.

I) It really comes down to survival of the fittest . What I mean is they will tire you out if they can. So make sure you eat your banana before you start and be ready for the long haul if you have to.
Appreciate 0