Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
My vote is exhaust valve flap.
I have the macht schnell evc module thus able to open and close the flap at will. It is louder than most think. Yours may be extremely squeaky.
How to rule this out for sure is simply disconnect the flap motors then drive the car around and see if you can reproduce the sound.
BTW, I have the Dinan S2 with CAI, exhaust, & suspension too and I leave the valves open all the time!
yeah, like the others, my two thoughts were the exhaust flaps & suspension ... jmg has a nice trouble-shooting idea for the suspension, but I'd be tempted to try the exhaust flap first: just pull the plugs with the flaps open and see if you never hear the sound again. Easy to do and rules it out 100%.

The 20-30 "warm up" to the noise would make sense in that the parts are heating up and expanding which exacerbates the squeak.

That said, in the second video the squeak happens a few times in a row at very low RPMs and I didn't think the flaps would open/close that much with nothing else going on. (btw, I know the 6MT is different but I can't imagine driving my DCT in 3rd at ~25 MPH)

Unless those exhaust flaps open/close a hell of a lot more than seems reasonable I'm leaning towards suspension and one of the actuators/electric value-y type things: it heats up with road use, then squeaks, but when you try to cycle from M1 to M2 and back you essentially heat-lube the parts and they don't squeak anymore.
Appreciate 0