View Single Post
      08-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
armo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

hey thanks for the feedback .. here's an update. Took it to my shop. they ran the codes. Def the coolant level for the charge cooler (not sure if there was work done on it before I bought the car recently). so we topped it off. Ran the car again, car ran fine. However, per their instructions, I let it cool off and checked again.

It was low. As I was topping it off the level kept dropping a bit. Had to actually wait and top it 3x. Took it for a drive again. Letting it cool off.. I'll check level again later. This time I noticed the charge cooler was not scorching hot, warm, but able to keep my hand on it.

So basically I'm going to keep it an eye on it next few drives. Obviously if it keeps getting low then my shop will look into it further. They've been nothing but helpful so far (reputable BMW shop in North Jersey.)

Will keep updating post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
The charge cooler should be very close to ambient air temperatures if fluid is circulating correctly. Mine normally runs about 15C above the outside air temperature once the engine is warmed up. It should not be hot.

Yep, definitely leaking. It frequently leaks fluid into the intake runners (where it is then burned by the engine), so it may not be noticeable externally. If it leaks badly enough, there is a risk (albeit really low) that the engine could hydrolock.