06-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #116
Hoosiers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Theory aside, in daily driving I will see little to no incentive to take this type of engine to the redline. Keeping it at full boil in the midrange will be more rewarding than extending it to a flat rpm peak. That you save both some fuel and engine component life doesn't hurt either. The S65 is such a savage towards the peak in both symphony and power that you run it up there all day long, or as often as you can. I think no matter how we dice it, there will be a difference in how we enjoy these cars unless BMW pull another rabbit out of the hat. I will not bet against them even if I chalk it down as unlikely.
I agree. Will we like the next M3/M4? Ask yourself this question: Is the current M5/M6 better than the past V10 high revver? Is the current F30 better than the last e90/e92? Based on my experience with the current and past M5's, I'd say no. Based on the Car magazines that went from ranking the 3 series and M's 1st place, while being accused of taking money from BMW to calling the M5 and M6 essentially fat soulless money makers from a once great M divison.

Hell, they say a ATS and Lexus are better drivers now.

BUT GREAT NEWS: RECORD PROFITS FOR BMW!

I think I've crossed the dark side to Porsche. Off topic, but the new GT3 with it's NA 3.8L 9,000RPM redline proves high revving engines are not dead just because BMW chooses to abandon it's principles.
Appreciate 0