View Single Post
      12-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtoM View Post
Looks nice but it's no comparison to either of it's benchmarking cars, it's a fast car but not a sports car, muscle cars don't cut it unless you live on a drag strip.
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kenny View Post
The new M3/M4 will hand it to the competition. Again. They always do
No they won't and no they don't, if you watched the full video in post #4 of this thread you'd see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
I think that a true comparison for a GT is the 335. The M3 is a much more expensive car and should be compared to special models of the mustang.
While I would somewhat agree with you on this, it wouldn't bode well for BMW given what a $30k GT can do against an E92 M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
The current Mustang can keep up with an M3, but the handling is not even close. Bear in mind that there's a LOT more to handling than skidpad numbers and lap times, I've driven every year of the fifth gen Mustang (2005-2013) and pretty much every engine they offer (3.7 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 V8, a couple of the earlier GT500s) and they all have basically the same handling characteristics; very lazy steering with almost no feel, very soft springs and dampers, tons of rubber in the suspension, etc. They're just sloppy cars, you can throw them into a corner and they will generate enough grip to go through very quickly but you don't feel the road at all and can't really tell how close you are to the limit. That live rear axle (which is gone now) isn't as bad as some say but it still has some very annoying characteristics, chief among them is the huge weight of the rear diff and axle hanging off of the suspension which means that even though the suspension is very soft, it still crashes and makes the body wobble when you hit a bump and hitting a bump mid-corner makes the whole car bounce. The earlier fifth gen GTs with the 4.6 were worse than the 5.0s, in the last few years Ford started offering the track pack and a couple other options that went a long way towards improving the way the Mustang drove. The 2013 GT Track Pack I drove was pretty good as long as the road was fairly smooth.
Handling IS skidpad and lap times, regardless of how the car feels as you're doing it. Either the car can get around the corners fast enough, or it can't - everything else is irrelevant IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
This is a meaningless comparison. Noone in their right mind cross shops an M3/M4 and a Mustang. The comparison can only be used for Mustang people to make themselves look/feel better. M3/M4 buyers have no skin in this game - it's irrelevant.
I wouldn't be so sure. Would you also argue that nobody would cross shop a 2 series and a Mustang? That's what I'll be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I had a 2013 GT as a rental and it was fast in a straight line, but the handling was atrocious.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? Based on that, the E92 M3 also has atrocious handling.

----

All the above aside, everyone wins when manufacturers compete at this level, it's great for everyone.
Appreciate 0