01-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #97
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I think most lowering spring rates would be fine with the B6s since the deviation from stock is minimal.
Only question is if the B6 shock body/shaft length has enough travel/response to accommodate the reduced suspension travel.
True, spring rate on an aftermarket spring kit would likely only be between 10-15% and wouldn't warrant or require a tuning change to the shock, I agree with that. Since Bilstein obviously is a large enough company to change out tuning of their shock with their B16 kit, might as well give it specific tuning to work with the spring rate of that B16 rear spring they provide with the kit.

No need to change the body, the shaft or the travel length to accommodate any reduced suspension travel on an already low car to start with, that wouldn't be necessary with a shock already accommodating of how low the M3 is traditionally from factory. If we were talking about a non-M height versus a lowered height, sure that would likely warrant the necessity of what Bilstein calls a B8 shock which is intended for lowered applications for that segment. With the M3, no B8 would exist since the B6 is already accommodating of how low the vehicle is to start with if that makes sense. No change necessary so no worries there.
M3SQRD2159.50