View Single Post
      12-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #63
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
The N54, N55, and S55 are all 3.0 liter straight six BMW engines that are based on essentially the same design.

The S55 is rated at 120+ hp over the other engines. Displacement remains the same.

Much of the "easy" gains the N54 guys got with their cars is already being accounted for in the S55 as it runs much higher boost straight from the factory.

Anyone who is expecting to "unleash the beast" with a Cobb AP or JB4 like you would on a N54 is in for a rude awakening. The stock turbos are already working their ass off, and if you are in high elevations you are especially ****ed.

That said, I do expect to see a healthy aftermarket for catless midpipes and upgraded turbos for these cars. But I doubt many casual daily drivers are going to want to go that extreme. The good news is the internals are buffed-up so this engine won't suffer the atrocious heat-soak issues the N54/N55 cars do.
How did you manage to verify that? We don't know what exact model turbo the S55 has. It could be a twin TD04 setup with a new compressor wheel and bearings, or it could be something else entirely that is flow optimized to the S55. The limiting factor on the N54 was fueling. IF BMW uprated the fuel pump and injectors, there may be more power to be had. With the M5/M6 being any indication, the ECU will be tough to crack. That will probably be the first hindrance for tuning the car.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0