View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Smiley913
Rep
Drives: Something that Runs

The Z/28 is a 3800+ lbs car. I would rather have 3700+ lbs M4 with 500+ hp that runs a tad slower compared to the Z/28 than a 3400+ lbs M4 that is way off Z/28’s pace.

I think this generation of M3/M4 has been hindered too much by government emission regulation and future mpg requirements. These new standards hurts prestige brand like BMW more than the common brand like GM. GM has existing “cheap” cars that is capable of 40+ mpg and they can expand their “cheap” car options in the future. This allows GM and other common people brand to develop these performance cars because they can still meet government regulations by offsetting it with “cheap” cars. On the other hand, BMW cannot make “cheap” car because it would tarnish the brand. I think that is why BMW is making electric cars in preparation for future regulations. But they can’t increase their electric car market too much at this point because it’s a risky business move. Therefore, BMW will increase mpg for all cars and put large hindrances due to government regulations when developing performance cars. This is just my personal theories and options.
Appreciate 0