View Single Post
      04-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Stoptech messed up big time with their wide annulus rotor

TL;DR - there is no proper sized race pad for the wide annulus (62mm) rotor from the new Stoptech trophy kit.

I ordered a gen5 Stoptech Trophy kit (STR60) from Buybrakes in Dec 2020. After a long wait, I finally received them in early April. During my search for a track pad to go along with this kit, Adam from Buybrakes told me that the kit comes with wide annulus rotor with a friction ring width of 62mm.

While knowing using narrower pad on the wide rotor is okay, I still want to use properly-matched/sized pad. so based on the recommendation from the retailer, I went with Stoptech SR33 wide annulus version, part #333.8W11.18.0 (notice - this is not the regular SR33 for ST60 which has a part #333.8011.18.0).

But after installing everything, I found out the alleged wide pad is still much narrower than the wide annulus rotor - there is a ~10mm gap between the inner edge of the pad and the rotor hat. See pic below:
View post on imgur.com

So Adam from buybrake passed this issue to Stoptech. And we just received a response from Stoptech -
"We do not carry a wide annulus race friction for the ST60. Okay to use the narrow annulus race version, higher effective radius for now. We are planning to swith the race versoins of the wide annulus systems to 380x35 normal annulus rotor."

This is completely BS since the street pad that comes with the kit are wider pad at 61mm, as I measured
View post on imgur.com

but the alleged wider SR33 is only at 54mm
View post on imgur.com

So am I supposed to use two sets of pads of different sizes? this answer from ST is completed unacceptable. I think the only right option for me right now is to purchase another set of street pad with narrower width so that both street and race pads have same sweeping area....Should've spent a little more $$ and go for AP...

Last edited by jim1013yyf; 04-13-2021 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0