View Single Post
      12-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #252
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i am not here trying to start another debate.

rather maybe trying to help to understand a different view point, on what that guy was talking about. even if you disagree with the view point.

its clear they are not the "same" engines.they have many different parts. we all can come to a agreement on that.

i am not sure about all the M cars in the past. but recent (E46-E92-E60) M generations the M engines were CLEARLY different machines (engine).

these new engines are made by the same people on the same plant as everything else(maybe not designed by them) . the engines are made with less "love" if you will. It would almost be a blaspheme for a M car to even share the same displacement or block/size of other non M cars. i have never seen a car company make much dramatic changes before in recent history.

Its CLEAR the E60 M5 was packing a different beast over the non m 5 series. it was CLEAR the E90 m was packing a different engine over a 335i or 328i. even though the E46 was a I6 engine, it was worlds better than any I6 engine BMW was making at that time.

sure you can give me all specs and different parts on the new M4 engine, and why it is different.

but the fact that this is even up for a debate sums it all up. there was ZERO debate on the E60 M5 vs 5 series. Zero debate on the E90 engine vs 335i engine. because the engines were much more dramatically different.

but with all that said. i honestly feel BMW can no long make engines like that because its way to costly. putting V10 engines in a dam sedan is quote Frankly insane. or a gas guzzling high revving M V8. the party if over in that sense.

i feel BMW is going in a direction where they should be going. making engines and cars that turn profit. and please most of the population. people usually just look at specs on paper any how.
first of all.....love? seriously? that's the kind of unsubstantiated romanticized opinion that you interject into these threads that is just not relevant. I don't even know what that means. in fact, if you want "love", you should buy an amg or a gtr since those engines are built by hand by a specific engine builder.

second of all, you should consider the difference between an opinion and a fact. I, nor anyone else, has no problem with anyone preferring a different type of engine than the s55. none whatsoever. its great that you love your s65.

what I said was that it is not a simply warmed over n55. the facts and specs that were provided are the specific proof that they are not the same. that is not up for debate.

whether you want to consider the s65 "more different" that's fine. clearly from your posts, prestige and status are very important to you and that's cool, I get it. personally, I see no loss in status whatsoever from having a new engine that happens to have the same displacement as the 335i motor considering the performance will be completely different and fantastic and it will feature a whole host of tech.

that's the point of the m3 in reality. its not about bespoke engines. its about the best all around DD / sports car hybrid on the market. its about the chassis, the styling, the performance, the interior, the tech, all of it. it was never only about the s54, the s65, etc....that's why every generation of m3 was great despite having different engines. (personally I enjoyed the character of my s54 over the s65, but jmo)

whether or not you LIKE the direction of the new m3, or the motor is an opinion. that the s55 is not a tuned n55 is a fact. that's the difference.

Last edited by Black Gold; 12-31-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0