11-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #138
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
And BMW will likely be able to continue to claim besting competitors with lower power than they provide through "chassis magic" like 50-50 weight balance or other such nonsense when it's still almost entirely about power to weight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Why not have both? If I wanted a muscle car I would buy a $55,000 Mustang GT500 with 652 hp.

Why can AMG put a 4.0 liter turbo V8 in their new C63 while BMW cannot? Isn't MB also a German auto manufacturer concerned about efficiency, costs, and green image?

BMW's growing tendency to skate by with the weakest engine in its class is growing tedious. The E92 was saved by the merits of its chassis. Since power is relatively unchanged from the E92, does BMW really expect the chassis to save them again? I think they are becoming very arrogant.
Sure you can have both, but I replied to a post that implied that chassis and weight distribution was nonsense. It was almost entirely about power to weight... And in that case, go buy a muscle car

And in the case of power to weight which was so important. Let's take the power to weight of the F8x and compare that with the competition:

The figure that REALLY matters then is how much HP per lbs it makes. If we don't take weight into the equation then we could just as well compare a truck with 750hp (Volvo FH16) with a M5 with 560hp. The M5 makes less crank power than a truck, can't be any good...

To illustrate how the F8x REALLY compares with the RS5 and C63 AMG:

C63 AMG:
Weight: 1730kg
Power: 457hp
Power to weight ratio: 0,26

RS5:
Weight: 1790kg
Power: 450hp
Power to weight ratio: 0,25

E9x M3:
Weight: 1655kg
Power: 420hp
Power to weight ratio: 0,25

F8X M3/4:
Weight: 1575kg
Power: 430hp
Power to weight ratio: 0,27

The E9x M3 would need to have 447hp, the RS5 would need 483hp and the C63 AMG would need 467hp to have the same power to weight ratio as the F8x has with a "puny" 430hp...

The weight loss equals a free 17hp over a E9x plus the 10hp increase in crank power equals a 27hp "real life" horsepower advantage over the E9x M3 (i.e 17hp more than just the 10hp more advertised, in effect the increase will be similar to a 27hp upgrade, not just 10hp, in reality. That's the beauty of saving weight ).

Not to mention how the lower weight improves handling and braking And I know that I'd rather have a car that has a 0,27 power to weight ratio due to a light and nimble chassis than a car that has the same ratio due to a 500hp engine but weighs in at 1800kg... In the case of the heavy car you will only be on equal terms to the F8x under acceleration. Under braking and cornering you will be disadvantaged by the heavy weight!

So compared to the RS5, C63 AMG and E9x M3, the F8x M3/M4 is a quite substantial leap in performance! Not in agreement on BMW being arrogant here...

As someone ( ) said "it's all about power to weight", and there the F8x seems to come out on top over the competition...

-

Last edited by Boss330; 11-28-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0