View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
So I've been searching and reading as many posts and comments about BMW's integration of CarPlay and it seems the majority of you seem to think it's a waste of money. I've never had a car with it but from my understanding is that Apple CarPlay have the same interface and functions support regardless of manufactures. Basically it's just an extension of iOS and just projects the interface on the infotainment display. What's so bad with it? Do you hate it because of the way BMW handles CarPlay or is it that CarPlay itself is terrible? Could you clarify why you think it's a waste of money?

Also it seems as if from 2019 it's now a subscription based model but is there any other difference between pre and post 2019 in functionality?

Thanks
The only thing I want CarPlay for is once Waze becomes available. I live in and drive in the greater NYC area and the difference between Waze/Google Maps and BMW navigation during busy times can sometimes be very significant. BMW does use some active traffic and it's not horrible but it's not on the same level as Waze. I've had both running simultaneously and now I just use Waze from my phone/cup holder when traffic becomes a factor. I don't even bother w bmw maps.

However, I was with my friend in his new M550 and watched how he used CarPlay and it looked very disappointing. It looked like it stopped his XM radio when a text came through and he went to read it. As others have mentioned above - it takes over the system and becomes one or the other (CarPlay vs iDrive). It seems as if you have Waze running (once available) that you can only be in CarPlay and will not have access to anything else in idrive including simple things such as XM continuing to play.

Give me Waze on the left and XM on the right (idrive split screen) and I'll subscribe all day. Waze alone for me is worth the price of entry.
Appreciate 1
pokerface431.50