Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
So I've been searching and reading as many posts and comments about BMW's integration of CarPlay and it seems the majority of you seem to think it's a waste of money. I've never had a car with it but from my understanding is that Apple CarPlay have the same interface and functions support regardless of manufactures. Basically it's just an extension of iOS and just projects the interface on the infotainment display. What's so bad with it? Do you hate it because of the way BMW handles CarPlay or is it that CarPlay itself is terrible? Could you clarify why you think it's a waste of money?

Also it seems as if from 2019 it's now a subscription based model but is there any other difference between pre and post 2019 in functionality?

Thanks
I hate CarPlay, but I use it now daily. I was one of those that said "save your money".

Here's why I hate it... it doesn't do anything (except maybe texting) better than the BMW built in apps.

The reason why CarPlay is useless, is because it doesn't even utilize the entire BMW screen! It saves this 1/3 of the screen for absolutely nothing... But if you utilize "split screen" then you can actually have your BMW map AND CarPlay active... super cool...

BUT... when you go back to your regular map - alas, your map is now in split screen with 2 duplicate maps.

It's nice that it gives me my texts as soon as they show up, and I can listen to them. It's nice that the music integrates flawlessly. But BMW does that already... just a little clunkier with Siri if you're not using CarPlay.

I loath it because it has so much potential and it's just another 'almost complete' apple product that got pushed out way too early before real users adopt it.

Also, its use with the iDrive controller could be a little more intuitive for those of us that don't have touch screens. If my iDrive allows me to scroll using the top pad, how come CarPlay doesn't?
Appreciate 0