Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Yes. Simply the way it's written up and presented can make the difference on if it's covered or not.
Can you explain what you mean by that?

In my own experience, I was denied coverage by my aftermarket warranty company for a diagnosis by the local BMW dealer that I needed my driveshaft replaced. This was on my 2011 335is. They basically popped the hood, saw that I had replaced the stock plastic charge pipe with ER aluminum one, and said “Since your car is not 100% stock, we are going to use that as an excuse to not pay for this or any other claim you may have because we are an insurance company and our policy is to screw people who pay us money in any opportunity we can!” Well, that’s not exactly what they said but there was a strong implication. I had removed my JB4 and my downpipes prior but didn’t even think something as insignificant as a charge pipe would be a flag. Wrong. I hope there are some decent companies out there and hopefully your dealer is recommending one.
If a Dealer is trying to deny your claim just by seeing a metal charge pipe, then it's ridiculous to try and attemp any warranty work done by them in the first place.

A difference in the way it is written on the work order is often the difference between approval or rejection.

And that Dealer was never going to write it in such a way that would lead to your warranty covering it.

I had a BMW that had Beige interior. I swapped EVERYTHING out for an LCI Black interior and Individual Seats. The Dealership was well aware of this.

9 months later I developed a short on the KCAN. The tech was convinced that I must have not routed a wire in the seat or interior retrofit.

Quite an argument that I was sure that was not the cause, but as EW only pay for 30 -60 minutes of diagnostic time if at all, I had to sign an open ticket for up to 10 hours to track down the short.

We agreed when located, we would readdress what happened.

After 3.5 hours, the seat module was determined to be bad and shorted the KCAN to ground.

Again, Dealer knew the seats had been replaced. Service Manager and I agreed to not mention all that and just list as module had gone bad. They covered 1 hour of diagnostic, a new module, the install and coding which was about $1k.

If they had written up what they initially suspected with interior retrofit, it would have been rejected. As it was straight forward in a warranty friendly explanation, there was no issue.

I have had another instance as well, where I had installed a 6WB and LED Taillights. The turn signal later began malfunctioning and would only keep signaling if I held it in the up or down position. If the Dealership had noted these changes, the work most likely would be denied (needed an istep update). Though it would only run about $300, but leaving out non-relevant details on the work order, again, it was covered.

It's imperative when writing your Service Ticket/Work Order with SA, you know what warranty will and will not cover and you make sure it's written in the most warranty friendly way.
Appreciate 2
TideMD291.50