View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

XHP Flashtool - F8X DCT Transmission Tuning Software Tested!

I was lucky enough to Beta test the XHP Flashtool DCT Software on my M2 Competition and I've been given permission to release some feedback as a teaser for you folks. They said the software will release in a couple days to the masses. For those who don't know, XHP has been releasing transmission tuning software for years and they have one of the best customer support teams and offer THE BEST in transmission tuning software for BMW's period. I've had their software on my Diesel X5 and it really woke it up...does the DCT really need waking up? Read below to decide if it offers something you may want.

So first off check it out at https://www.xhpflashtool.com/ and read the manual. They have a connect diagram here: https://www.xhpflashtool.com/connect_diagram/ which shows you the flashing options. I am using an MHD Black Wifi adapter which I also use for Bimmercode and it's super fast.

Flashing takes around 2-3min for the first flash and any other edits to the Shift maps, torque punch, or flash back to stock takes around 10sec.

Initial driving impressions are great and nothing seems off; I highly recommend it! I definitely need more time to go through torque punch and some other settings; I did find the OTS Stage 3 map shift points are definitely aggressive and high (likely GT4 or Hybrid turbo cars). I elected to go with the stock shift maps. They have made it clear that full shift performance is only available in M-DL3 + DSC OFF which makes sense since the traction light usually illuminates on most of my shifts anyways.

Cost is around 450-500usd total for the Flash License and Map Package. The increased clutch pressure at 19bar alone is worth the upgrade. For those who don't know, this pressure increase has been dyno tested by Maxxecu and it shows the OE clutch torque handling capabilities are up over 100ft-lbs easily with this. So before wincing at the price think about the cost of a clutch upgrade by comparison. See link for data: https://www.maxxecu.com/webhelp/adva...e_upgrade.html So those of you with hybrid turbochargers who are worried about slipping clutches, may be able to get a lot more time on a set of stock clutches without upgrading. Keep in mind launch control and heating up of the clutches through abuse is not going to save them but at least the increased clamping pressures will help.
As a comparison of clutch pressures:
OE M3 - 15.5bar - 650ft-lb
OE GTS - 15.7-16bar - ~680ft-lb
Maxx ECU Dyno Tested - 17.5bar - 740ft-lb
(*Info gathered via MaxxECU link posted above)

XHP - 19bar posted - ~Potentially 800ft-lb? Need to verify if the pressure goes this high.

Attached are some screenshots of the App and the option menu along with some more details on the torque punch feature.
Attached Images

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 09-15-2020 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 7