10-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #72
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Every new generation of M3 has been a good news/bad news event. The I-6 was a disappointment vs. the refinement of the racing 4-cyl. The V8 was a disappointment because it just wasn't "BMW" (and it needed the Weight Watchers program). Every one of them has been faster and more luxurious than the one before it, and every generation has earned rabid fans. The big difference is, that for the first time, THIS generation will be lighter than the one before it!

Personally, I love them all - each for its unique strengths that make it both an awesome driver's car and a daily-driver family car. The M3 is dead. Long live the M3 (er...4?)!
this is also the first time the engine sound has taken a significant step back. also, the V8 was lighter than the iron-block straight 6 of the e46. also, aftermarket exhaust or not, the turbo I-6 will never sound anywhere close to the S54, which had a glorious induction noise. the engine noise (not the exhaust noise) of the S54 and S65 are simply not replicable, and that's what really set those engines apart from every other I-6 or V8, respectively.

and I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone who doesn't prefer the sound of the S65 over the S54 (other than perhaps current e46 owners, but those are biased opinions).
Appreciate 0