06-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #277
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by potxoli View Post
The flip side on swap a lease is that it seems most people don't read this thread and simply do what the dealer tells them: put a large capital reduction money downpayment to lower the monthly payment.

I leased a 535xi with no money down once. The rest of the deal on that car was good. Good discount off of MSRP and BMW MF with no markup. When I lost my job a while back, I tried to get rid of it on swap-a-lease, but my monthly payment was about $100 higher than every other 535xi available so I got no takers and kept it till lease end since I did not want to pay for additional incentive to another party.

My advice based on that experience is only lease a car if you are certain you are going to keep it for the lease period. If you think you want to get rid of it in a short timeframe, financing is probably a better way to go.
You did get stuck in a pickle, but one conservative way to avoid that is to take the money earmarked for cap cost and put it in a separate account. You could make small monthly transfers to reduce your monthly payment. Then even with swap a lease, you can use what's left as a cash incentive should you have trouble moving it.
Appreciate 0