Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The M340 has the same exact aluminum suspension (with a ///M stamp), brakes and identical electronic 100% locking LSD as a "real" M car..

Does it need to be anointed by the M gods themselves for it to be christen a true M car?

I get that you guys are trying to distinguish between the two variants but the pie has been cut so thin nowadays that separating M and M Performance is almost a pointless exercise, other than for the bragging rights.

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of the M340i before I drove one but man, that car is a rocket, handles just as good as an M2 and is as M as it's really all one would need for regular road driving, with a little pep.

The electronic 100% locking LSD was the crown-jewel of all M cars over the standard models but now that BMW has leveled the playing field and made them common amongst all, so I really don't see the advantage of an official M car anymore.

Who cares if it's a real M car or not? I don't think it is, but that doesn't make it any less of a car. It's a great car. In fact, I'd prefer the M340i if I could get it in a manual. Hands down. But I wouldn't consider it an M car. It just isn't.
Maybe you missed the other 5 threads where I kept braying that I don't care if it's an M car or not but I'll reiterate; unlike you, I judge a machine based on its own merits, not what badge is on the back or what marketing strategy the manufacturer is pushing.

I wasn't trying to steal your [COLOR="DarkRed"]M[/COLOR] sunshine, just stating that fact that regular BMW comes with an LSD standard now, takes away the whole appeal of an officially marketed M car, IMHO.

That was my point and once again, the M340i is not an official M car but it's an excellent performing vehicle, standing on its own and sans its whatever embleming is on the trunk. The end.
Appreciate 0