12-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
the S65 is weak relative to other M motors BMW has produced, and the N54 as well. The S54 and N54 have been proven to make 700+ whp reliably. A 600 whp S65 appears to be a time bomb. Yes, I see them...but I also see them blow up. A 700 whp stock S65 would maybe last for a single pull. There has yet to be a single engine failure with a a single turbo powered N54 over 600 whp and obviously the E46 M3s are well documented in their power-making abilities.
Again rubbish.

There are many folks running 600-700 hp E9X M3s. The only weak links uncovered thus far are a very low percentage of cars with rod bearing problems (perhaps translating to a rod problem). These failures have been seen in FI cars but also in completely stock cars with <20k miles. And I guess if you call a clutch designed for 400 hp a "weak link" when running 700 hp then yes that is another weak link. I've read first hand account of 100s of drag strip runs in S65s at this power level. Nothing but rock solid reliability.

Read this particular thread about a high mileage long lasting nearly 800 hp E92 M3. Link.

Although I haven't followed the S54/N54/N55 tuning scene very carefully, I've heard plenty about various problems in these motors even without significantly more power than stock. The S54 also suffered from a bearing problem. That one though was admitted by BMW (the E9X one has not been). What about the fuel pump in the N54? What about the plethora of cooling issue and limp mode problems when N54/N55 are run hard at the track? No such stories for the S65.

Although I cannot definitively and objectively with NUMBERS prove that the S65 is more reliable when running significantly more power than stock than the S54/N54/N55, similarly you can't prove the S65 offers terrible reliability. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I am especially incredulous regarding the bold part above. How many dumbasses out there go for nothing but power and sacrifice all costs needed to improve reliability (most often cooling). When this approach is taken it is asking for failure with any motor. Just becuase you haven't been able to find such a case certainly does not mean one does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
You S65 guys might as well start getting it out of your systems, but the F8X M3 is going to decimate any performance records the E9X chassis M3 has set, just like the E46 and E36 platforms did as well. Mark my words. An inline 6 architecture with an overbuilt engine and drivetrain is the perfect platform for making as much power as you want. I'm bookmarking this thread so I can use it for crow-eating purposes down the road
Bookmark away. My statements have ZERO to due with what car I own. My car is producing minimally more power than stock.

If the S55 can be tuned to close to 800 crank hp then yes it will trounce existing modded M3s. It's only about power...

By the way there are 3 M3s faster in 60-130 than the fastest 335i...

List M3, list 335i
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0