ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Every new generation of M3 has been a good news/bad news event. The I-6 was a disappointment vs. the refinement of the racing 4-cyl. The V8 was a disappointment because it just wasn't "BMW" (and it needed the Weight Watchers program). Every one of them has been faster and more luxurious than the one before it, and every generation has earned rabid fans. The big difference is, that for the first time, THIS generation will be lighter than the one before it!

Personally, I love them all - each for its unique strengths that make it both an awesome driver's car and a daily-driver family car. The M3 is dead. Long live the M3 (er...4?)!
Completely agree, but here's the problem. The I-6 in the e46 didn't sound like the 330i, the V8 in the e9x didn't sound like the 335i, but this M3/4 sounds a lot like the the current 4/335i models with an aftermarket exhaust.

If M made this engine truly unique in the noise factor, and possibly let go the turbo and just bored out a I-6 or made a lighter V8. This could have been an even better car. Enthusiasts, at least myself, want all the lighter, faster, more fun car, but they(I) also want something unique for its era, something that doesn't sound like anything else, where it's character grows on you over time, even more so than when you first bought it. I don't doubt that this car will be fun, fast, and what not, but a car like this should ooze it's character. I feel like it's going to be a little dull in the sound department and let's face it, that's a big factor, maybe not a deciding factor for some, but for me it is.

I hope I'm proven wrong when I test drive it though.
Appreciate 0