Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
BMW can create any car they want and I support that 150%. I'm wishing for an X7 and I think the 2 series active tourer is a good looking mini-van, bring it on! Everyone has to cultivate the core business to allow them to innovate in new categories, i brand and M.
How I read it and interpreted the article is the discussions were different on the F8X than the e9X. The article stated they were trying to get back the life that made the e46 M3 the bestselling M3, having to change internally how people think of the car, clear goals of getting weight out, the need to make it more wild, need to reprogram the sport settings so the delta is bigger and you can't run sport plus in the snow. Those tidbits tell me they think they lost some of the M roots – speed, lightness, agility. To me they got "soft" and had to refocus efforts on the F8X. This will be my end of comments and I’m looking forward to my 2016 M3.
Yes, I agree with this point. I think (especially with part 1 of the interview) that is exactly what they are getting at - something that is now (maybe) beginning to be appreciated in reviews of the F8X.

I'm not sure it was specific to ///M and BMW, though. I think that as the 1990s became the 2000s there was a general push in car making to go 'bigger and more lux'. the E9x just went along with that trend (as it had to in order to compete/sell). I like the refocus here, though, on the edge instead of just 'bigger, more features, more power'.

....hope to see you back here when you get the F80 M3.