VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
My 2 cents. Had the conti ECS for less than 6 months on OEM 19" wheels and was pretty disappointed. The sidewall was too soft for the car suspension and every lane change caused the sidewall to flex compared to OEM conti 5p. Breaking was worse than OEM 5p and wet performance was worse than OEM 5p. Was not impressed with the tire grip either. Due to the soft sidewalls the car did not feel planted taking high speed ramps/curves. The mechanic that changed my tires did mention to me that a most drivers don't notice this attribute and he had the same problem with the PS4s. I commute on average 2hrs daily on highways and twisty back roads to have a very good measure of the ECS. Only positive I found with the ECS tires was that they had decent grip in low temps. I got rid of the tire and went back to OEM 5p. I believe the PS4s has the same soft sidewall as the ECS. Looking to give the 007A a chance next or the new eagle F1 supersport.
Interesting, as over a year ago your initial review was different. Plus, the tires hadn’t broken in, so where not at their best performance for a few hundred more miles. You initial review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
I got the continental extreme contact sport 255/275 over the mp4s due to this post. My previous tire was the conti 5p. Very happy with tire grip in a straight line and taking corners. Hard to break traction with new inspired confidence while driving. Just 200 miles in and will be happy if it maintains the same performance during the tire life. The tire has simply transformed the way I drive with my M3. Steering feel is slightly lighter which I prefer. Road noise has decreased slightly. Straight line aggressive acceleration performance on dry roads is very good. Breaking is the same as the conti 5p which is a good thing. The car can simply put the power down now. I have not yet tested lateral grip on wet roads as the tire is still broken in. Never driven the Michelins but I can't imagine it will provide a better tire grip than I have now with the contis. I have a suspicion that both tires are equal in performance and it comes down to the driver. The only down sides is that steering feel is no better or worse. I do not think it is the tires as the side wall feels as stiff as the conti 5p. Just think the F80 M3 has a bad electronic steering. I will recommend purchasing the conti extreme contact sports tires if you want a cheaper alternative to the mp4s with the same performance. Also I will recommend sticking with stock sizes to prevent tire roll during hard cornering. The tire performance is so good you don't need to go wider with the risk of decreased steering feel and increased tire roll on stock rims.
Now, you’ve a slightly different take. Perhaps you simply need the next level tire (extreme performance summer tire which is what you listed) regardless of the brand/model whether Conti ECS or ??? I’ve also found tire pressure makes a moderate difference in the overall performance. I’ve thousands of miles on my ECS, and, they’re still quite good for very spirited driving for this class of tire. This is not my DD car—only a fun, weekend car. Regardless, enjoy your M car and ride!