Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Everyone talks up the Bavsound speakers over the HK system and I had tried them for a month or two in my e46 M3 before returning them. The speakers didn't seem to come alive until the volume was extremely loud leading me to believe the stock HK amp just didn't have enough power to benefit from those speakers at less than deafening levels. At lower levels the mid speakers didn't even seem to be on.

I just don't believe a significant improvement can be realized by upgrading speakers without upgrading power. If Bavsound had an amplifier solution for their speakers than I would have purchased it instead of returning the speakers. If that combo worked well, I would have a Bavsound combo now. They definitely had great customer service but I remain skeptical of anyone's review claiming how things are night and day better if all they did was replace speakers.

I'm pretty happy with the HK but looking for my next gift to myself soon. Too bad there is still no plug and play amp upgrade available.

I'll see if I can find someone near me that will let me hear the difference in person to see if it is worth another shot.
I live in Austin. I'm happy to meet up with you some time to let you hear my Bavsound + ghost subs. I think it's a giant improvement over stock, and I fixed the low volume problem by playing with the equalizer.

Stock bass was muffled, highs and mids were not well defined. Bavsound provides punch bass and fairly clear high/mids. It's not at the level of F10 B&O, but it's still pretty good. I think that the inferior DSP is the problem moreso than the power from the amp.

I'm undecided on whether I'm going to upgrade further. It seems like the chances of getting the reward I want are rather small compared to the cost/risk.
Playing with the EQ is a must!
Adjusting the equalizer to your taste after the speaker upgrade makes the system more livable.
After buying my car the 2 biggest gripes were the stereo and the exhaust, I've replaced both and much happier (not fully satisfied but I can live with it).
Another point, adjust the EQ to the audio source you use the most. CDs, Bluetooth, mp3 on the hard drive, radio, and sat radio all sound extremely different to me. I set up my EQ for ACC music stored on the HD. It sounded high and tinny this I toned down the highs and upped the bass so I could hear those ghost subs!
Mind sharing your audio source and EQ settings?
Here's mine:
Attached Images