06-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #88
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I just did this last weekend. Here are my tips and hints:

Steps #1 & #3 - The plastic rivets on each side don't have to be removed. After Steps #2 & #4, just swing the trim covers 180 degrees to the side. This is what I've done every time I've swapped brake pads and have to check the brake fluid under the trim cover on the driver side.

Step #6 shows the rubber boots on the top of the strut towers completely removed. You don't have to do that, you only need to move them out of the way so you can access the strut bar bolts. You may have to remove the two rivets on each side that hold the rubber boots in place, and the keeper rivets that hold the cables in place, although this is not indicated in the instructions.

Step #9 - Take a good look at that picture and notice that the airbox screws were not completely removed as it says to do in Step #8. Step #8 should say "Loosen screws until they no longer hold the lid in place." The top half of the airbox screws have a bare shaft with no threads and they are designed to be held captive in the lid when they are loosened. This makes removing and replacing the lid much, much easier, because you're not trying desperately to not drop one of those completely removed screws into the engine bay, never to be seen again. My dumb ass removed the screws completely but at least I didn't lose any!

Steps #14 and #15 - Same as above.

If you do end up taking out any of the plastic rivets, remember to pull out the pin in the middle about halfway before reinstalling them! Then just put the rivet in place and push in the pin. This will make reinstalling them much easier!

Last edited by SD ///M4; 06-14-2021 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0