Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maa335iF30 View Post
As a new owner of a manual m3 this whole thread is making me nervous. Why doesn't the transmission have a mechanism that would prevent you from shifting into a gear that would blow the engine. They gave us rev matching but not this?

I wasn't able to shift into the second gear of my 1998 mustang at speeds of more than 70mph even when I tried.

seriously. there are currently no manual trannys that exist that can prevent you from over rev'ing the engine with a money shift. it is physically impossible. the gears are set by you. you shoved it into a wrong gear, engine fuel gets cut, but the engine is spinning because you released the clutch and now it is toast. valves are bent. etc.

manuals are exactly that... you shifted yourself. you let go of the clutch and now you live with the consequences.

it baffles me that people don't understand this. it is the sole reason i would never buy a used manual car.
I'm only suggesting a mechanism that would prevent accidentally blowing the engine. Sorry for sharing my thoughts.