View Single Post
      10-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Thoughts on my GTS

I'll pop in here with some recent time spent with an M4 GTS still fresh in my mind.

A few days ago I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to drive a new Huracan Performante and an M4 GTS back to back. Same day, same roads, same conditions, straight out of one car and into the other.

What is constantly shocking to me is how brutal these cars- the M4 GTS- are on the street. Not just aggressive, not just sharp. But jarring. Deterring. You constantly have to be on the lookout for road imperfections. Minor potholes, large cracks, and frost heaves not only produce sharp intrusions into the ride quality, they sound like they are damaging the car. The car does not want to put power down until there is a lot of heat in the rear tires, and even then heavy acceleration can make it struggle. The DCT bucks and lurches in 1st gear like a 15 yr old who has never driven a stick shift. It doesn't sound great. There is just always a general feeling that you are making the car do something it doesn't want to do. It's not fun. It's not enjoyable. It's suspiciously like work. And it just does not offer enough reward often enough to equalize it.

The Performante was far friendlier to drive on the street. It rode better, it didn't tram line as much, it shifted far smoother, and it made the power feel usable. It was instantly encouraging and trustworthy. But I want to take a moment to point out that this does not mean it was not fun. Nothing could be further from the truth. The car was a total blast. The noise it makes is sensational. The steering is beautiful and full of feel. The gearbox was sharp, but refined. The throttle response was so razor sharp, it's possibly the best I've ever experienced. The acceleration was vicious. It was clear that it had tons of performance to offer, and it wanted you to exploit it in the worst way possible.

The last time I drove a GTS it was back to back with a .1 GT3 RS, and I found it totally bizarre that the Porsche somehow felt simultaneously racier, but also more comfortable and approachable. That was nearly a year ago, and I was wondering if time was clouding my memory and harsh judgement. The Lamborghini reaffirmed my suspicions.
Appreciate 2
P111573.50
SeanWRT3179.00