View Single Post
      04-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
That's the issue, even if you did make that kind of power, the intercooler and cooling systems on the 340i would never keep up with the heat generated by the extra boost. The intake air temperatures would be unusable after 2 -3 pulls and it wouldn't make any where near 420 WHP anymore.

I had an N54 335 5 yrs ago with about 400 wheel HP and after 2 pulls I couldn't boost past 11 psi because the IAT's where too high. Then, I got an aftermarket IC, great I thought. Then, after 2 laps on the track the oil temps were above 260!

Then the brakes would be overwhelmed because they aren't 4/6 piston oversized drilled fixed caliper rotors.

The M literally has 7 coolers under the hood for heat management, there is too much to list to understand why you're better off just doing it right.

Plus there is way more to the M's handling/suspension than just coilovers, the entire front of the car feels like its built out of a piece of granite, it's just way tighter. You would never be able to reasonably replicate the responsiveness and buttoned down feeling the M has.
yup, I agree with you completely, when track usage is put in place, there is no comparison. I also had a modded N54 and had an F80 after that.

but OP is talking strictly for commuting, and in that case, you just need to do 1 pull to make a pass on the highway, and you aren't driving hard enough to max out the limits of a modded 335is or M3 anyway (or you really shouldn't be on public roads)

A fully depreciated 335 with mods is interesting to me as a commuter substitute to F80. There's a LOT of cash savings we are talking about, which could be used for many things, not least of which is an all out sports car to be used as a toy
Appreciate 0