View Single Post
      08-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #134
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

I can't believe how many people, "applaud Porsche," for not offering a 6MT on the GT3. Since when is less choice a good thing for consumers? I don't believe Porsche did this to make a statement. I think they simply wanted the most technologically advanced piece of equipment in their top end car. Why spend million (yes millions) of dollars designing and certifying a transmission on a low production car that less than 10% of your customers would buy? It's a financial decision, plain and simple.

Secondly, why do auto/DCT owners always feel that us 6MT enthusiasts simply need to be "educated" on the benefits of new transmission options in cars today? It's condescending to assume we've never driven a car with said transmission, because if we did, how could we ever decide a 6MT was better? Maybe the correct approach is that YOU feel satisfied with the third pedal missing, but try to understand that no amount of speed, technology, etc. will ever make up for the loss of tactile sensation I get from throwing a car into a gear and stomping on the clutch pedal (makes me want to drive right now, actually).

Lastly, an argument can be made that technology is always improving and that dinosaurs like me are a dying breed. Frankly, I don't give a crap. I still order cars without navigation. I'm interested in a sense of connectedness more than a good stereo, comfort, or anything else. As long as there are people like me around, there will always be a need for the 6MT.
Appreciate 0