Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
So spacers appear to be a pretty popular mod on the M3's. Most seem to maintain that the wheel wells have a better look with some amount of space taken up to fill in the gap. Here's my question- if it looks better, and it offers some minimal handling improvement, why are the cars not engineered that way? Is there a DOT rule or some sort of benchmark they need to adhere to? Or are they designed with the stock gaps because that is the geometry that the engineers at BMW found work best? Cause if it's the first, I'm interested in doing this to my ride. If it's the latter, I would be inclined to stick with what the engineers intended.
All vehicles are engineered to satisfy a number of needs: From perfectly flat roads to harsh winters (and everything in between). Spacers have been used for years (not only BMW), BMW uses them on the M3 GT4. Even Porsche offers them as a factory part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
Second part of my question- at what point on the m3 with stock 19" wheels will you start having debris fly up and soil your car? My highly modified wrangler 35's stick out about 2" past my fenders and tho it looks cool, it's a pita to keep clean! I would want full fender coverage on my m3 and will want the tires to look stock- only with a subtle improvement. Thinking 20mm may be overly aggressive with my goal in mind.
Pushing the rubber outwards will always run this risk. While no one will be running 2" thick spacers on a BMW, less aggressive thicknesses will keep more fender over the tire.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0