View Single Post
      02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #70
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I don't think the M4 monikor has been fully baked yet. While it sounds like the F32 and F33 will be called the 4-series, I think there's still some internal debate within BMW about losing the cache that the M3 name carries.
Assuming that both the 4 series moniker and the 4 series GC do indeed come to pass (most of us agree at this point that these are pretty likely, yes?), and with an "F85" (I'll put that in quotes until we know the code for sure) GC from M division almost certain now too, I'd say that the M4 moniker is all but guaranteed to show up on that car.

With that in mind, and knowing the sedan is obviously slated to continue to wear the M3 moniker, I really can't imagine them deciding to put the M3 name on the coupe instead of the M4 name. Add to that the fact that I'll bet almost no one cares if they change the oft-derided convertible to M4, consider that a good bet too, so now we are up to two M4 body styles.

At that point, putting the M3 name on the coupe begins to sound somewhat ridiculous, to me at least. Granted there's a lot speculation in all of that, but does anyone really see the momentum headed in any other direction?
Appreciate 0