Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
I can't find the cost on their website. Seeing as there are no formal approvals and just recommendations, I personally will have a hard time choosing this over what is available for cheap and proven. Any idea what the cost is? I assume it would be motul 300v / redline costs at the least. But interested in the data / UOA when available regardless! thanks for sharing.
https://www.advlubrication.com/colle...ive-lubricants

These oils will not meet OEM approvals because the additive content and base stock are formulated with performance in mind rather than being restricted by OEM/API specifications.
Sure, but there are reasons for those restrictions.
Considering my car recommends LL01FE, I'd say the primary reason is fuel economy… lol.

With that said, I'm fully aware of the reasoning behind OEM approvals. However, I've ran Ester/boutique motor oils in BMWs for 100k+ miles with no I'll effects and none of them burn oil or have any abnormal wear based on UOAs.

These types of oils are not for everybody, rather they are for the minority who have special areas of needs in an oil. If you don't know what these needs are, then LL-01 will suit just fine.

The reason why I'm chasing these types of oils with crazy high TBN is because I'm running flex fuel and pushing my turbos to the limit on Cary Jordan's FF multimap.

I need an oil that has extreme resistance to shearing and oxidation while on ethanol as this creates major issues due to fuel dilution and would prematurely wear down your off the shelf motor oil.
So, several things.
BMW recommends LL01 too, not just LL01 FE. Mpg is reason, but not primary one. Extremely high TBN oils don't match well to direct injection engines. Turbos especially like lower SAPS oil. Anywhere where there is a lot of heat, oils with lower sulfated ash and phosphorus are better. Also, bcs. VANOS, and, yes OCI, BMW likes oils that have oxidation in check.
Today it is hard to find oils with extreme TBN outside of truly racing stuff. And even then, TBN is questionable bcs. turbos etc. Motul 300V is not particularly high on TBN. Also, what kind of additives? Problem is that additives for track, racing purposes are different than those for street use.
But think about this, by far highest TBN of available oils have Mobil1 0W40 FS, 5W40 FS and 5W50 FS. If you want super greasy package, doesn't get better than that.
Appreciate 0