View Single Post
      05-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #72
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
The amount of torque made after 5,252 is absolutely relevant. Horsepower is a function of torque made at a specified RPM. The higher the torque and the greater the RPM, the more power.

My car for example makes only 350 RWTQ at 5,252 RPM, but continues to make that amount of torque all the way to 8,600 RPM. That equates to nearly 600 RWHP.

Sure you can make 600 RWHP at 5,000 RPM on a different motor/platform, however in that scenario torque will have to be sooo high that much of it will be lost spinning tires and chassis deflection.
You're right - i was not trying to say that torque past the equation constant of 5252 is irrelevant. it is alway better to have more torque longer because that will translate to more power (independent of revs, which can also increase it). I did state it that way, but that's not what i meant. I was more commenting on the significance of a % drop off peak torque at redline (i don't think it's that significant if the engine is tailored to make up for it).